Wednesday, February 1

a 'little string of happy hearts' how~to...

i must admit to not being one for decorating for valentines, however i do like hearts and i do like little strings of happy for their ability to brighten the day, so why not i say...


before we begin, several things
several thing one: you could make this little string longer and larger if you so wish by using full sized book pages and more of them
several thing two: if you do that, you will probably have to use something more sturdy to string them altogether
several thing three: you do not need a trusty sewing machine, there are ways around this and i will pop them in brackets where relevant in the recipe below
several thing four: due to the nature of how i have stitched the pages together, it is a tres delicate little string so care is needed when handling the happy hearts

a 'little string of happy hearts' how~to

skill level:
easy peasy lemon squeezy

ingredients:


* old book pages
* happy coloured thread for trusty machine or hand embroidery thread
* scraps of decorative papers (wallpaper, scrapbooking paper, wrapping paper etc)
* handy dandy glue stick
* little paper label of sorts (more on that in recipe)
* spiffy paper scissors
* trusty sewing machine (optional)
* 15 minutes and a cup of tea

recipe:

* with 2 or 3 book pages held together, fold and tear in half, and then in half again, so you have 4 quarters when put together, make a whole page


* with trusty sewing machine and happy coloured thread stitch around your torn pages. this is for two reasons, one to keep the layers together and two, because its a jolly thing to do
(if not using a trusty sewing machine, just glue your layers together and set aside to dry. perhaps consider adding faux stitching with a coloured marker, could look mighty fine)


* cut out happy hearts from your scraps of paper, do not draw them on first, eyeball them so each one will have their own personality and charm



* with glue stick in hand, spend a few moments attaching each heart to its own little stitched book page, once again do not worry about the placement greatly.



* if you happen to have the 'little lucky bunny' postcard which came with my book, then cut out the tag saying 'please hold on to my heart', if not, do not fret nor weep at Tif using something which you do not own. you can hand write your little tag or indeed print one off like i did, if you have a handy dandy printer


* take your happy heart pages and with a trusty sewing machine stitch them in a happy line. be sure to leave plenty of thread either end of your happy heart pages so you have something to hang them up with. also leave a little gap when sewing them together so they dingle dangle nicely. don't forget at the end to stitch your tag on. i did and had to go back due to my forgetful ways.
(if you are not using a trusty sewing machine, take a needle with embroidery thread and carefully so as not to tear the book pages, hand-stitch running stitches along the top of your book pages)


* admire your little string of happy hearts



* hang your little string of happy hearts in a place most suited to maximize the happiness they give off and where others may too appreciate the sentiment behind your little string



Tif :)


43 comments:

Justine of SewCountryChick said...

I love your homegrown style and this tutorial is just perfect!

Annaboo's House said...

Just so sweet.
Will have to try.
Xx

wood & wool stool said...

WEE!

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Perfectly delightful, as usual. And this one so quick and easy too. Thanks for sharing =)

Unknown said...

sweetness and oh so fun to read your recipes. you are just darling. yep. you could be in the darling club easy. adore.

Debby said...

So cute. I will try to make these for sure.

Miki said...

What a great idea! ;)

HeppieHermpie said...

Thank you * thank you * thank you!!! for this very-very-nice idea!! Again an idea what's nice to do!! I love it! Oh, every time I am again surprised by the things you create and invent!! Great woman you are! ThanX! With love, Herma

Unknown said...

Beautifull !

Courtney said...

Adorable. Such a creative idea. Thanks for sharing!

silly old suitcase said...

Perfect!

xx

liz said...

They are beautiful. Liz :)

Unknown said...

adorable. as usual. will definitely be creating my own!

Mandy said...

Oh...this is lovely..i made hearts last year tho its the first time i decorated for v day...lol...but loving this too...xxx

Jane said...

love it. thanks, I've actually bought a paper heart garland recently and have been look for a heart shape paper cutter. It didn't occur to me to cut them freehand! happy day to you. Jane x

LaBaronneC said...

Magnifique idée et merci pour le DIY !

Unknown said...

Very cute! Might just have a go myself :)

Daisy said...

I love them! I will make some to go with my dottie angel strings of happy.
Thanks Tif xx

Keri-Anne said...

Oh my!!!! How wonderful. I shall be doing this, yes yes I shall. Thank you for sharing xxx

Tania said...

So pretty xx

Tara said...

love this! thanks for the how-to.

queen buttercream said...

So cute, thank you for the recipe! I just ordered your book so my husband can give it to me for my birthday
: ) Yay!

Jane Ziemons said...

Well thank you kindly. this little idea brought sunshine to my morning.
Lovely.

hookytime.blogspot.com said...

This is LUSHUS Tif:)))))
I know what Ill be doing this weekend!!!
Thanks heaps!!!
Issyx

www.hookytime.blogspot.com

sue said...

I'm loving your happy heart garland so perfect for romance! ♥

Gillian - Tales from a happy house said...

These are beautiful. Thanks for sharing. They could be adapted into rather lovely valentine's cards too.

Jane said...

Ooh! Squealing in faraway Hobart, Australia, Tif! Thanks ever so much for sharing this delightful idea. I can't wait to try this on my newly-cleaned-inherited-from-my-Mum-and-not-used-in-30-years-aqua-Singer-sewing-machine. Yippee - thanks so much for the inspiration. J x

Hopelessly Romantic Art Studio said...

what a grand idea! I just love old book pages, and it has been quite awhile since I have dug into my stash! I will have to dust off a book or two to try this idea. Since reading your book, I have an irrisitable urge to go thrift store visiting,lol I need some vintage fabric!
Happy day to you!
Gerri

Yvonne Moxon said...

Love it!

Nova Melina said...

This is so sweet! Thank you for the idea and greetings from Finland! :)

Vintage Home said...

just found you through 91!...I live near Vancouver B.c....
What a delightful blog you have created here!....Now I shall go see your etsy shop...because I love to sew with Vintage fabric!...Colleen

adele said...

("crappity crap" a new expression for me, merci! ;-) i am "crappity crap" at leaving a comment in english but i like this post very much!

Anonymous said...

how cute. i adore your blog!!

Justine of SewCountryChick said...

I love your projects and your blog Tif! visiting the mossy shed is so inspiring!

dottie angel said...

hurrah hooray for your lovely happy heart comments today! you are most kind and most spiffy :)
happy weekend crafting to you all
x

Julie said...

Beautiful! Thank you!

K J D said...

These are so cute!

Love your blog.... it's really 'spiffy!'

Loppe-shoppe said...

A little string of happy hearts is now hanging on our wall!!
Thank you very much!!

morikomidori said...

ohhhhh yes, i am definitely going to make these trez romantic hearts ❤ (i love using dottie language :)
to cheer up my daughters bed as she is presently feeling a little sad that she is unlikely to be asked out on a date by the likes of benedict cumberpatch before february 14th and will therefore most likely not recieve a valentines card from him either.

christy said...

oh this is super perfect....we are always looking to new ideas for making buntings and mobiles to make our hearts sing...perfecto! will go great with our sewn paper heart doilies all tittering in breeze by our window!

if i make them can i post a pic of them and your tutorial in my new blog (with credit of course and link)...I am all new to blog etiquette so would appreciate your feeback?

thanks!!!!

love ALL you do!

thank you!!!
christy

dottie angel said...

hello Christy, many thanks indeedy!
you are welcome to post a pic of them and link back to the 'how-to' on my blog, that would be fine, thank you for asking me and good luck with the blogging my dear :)

dottie angel said...

what a fabby idea meadowsweet hare! i think that would be a lovely thought, tres peachy indeed ;)

christy said...

oh dear, did not get around to making the banner (we all got the flu) but good to know I can post a pic and your link at some random moment when we are spreading the love!!! you can never have enough LOVE! thanks so much!